The Guys over at Secret Weapon Miniatures were kind enough to send me a bunch of their Tau Ceti bases a few months ago. Some of these have already been put to good use however I had a few lonely ones left… I thought it would be an injustice to see such cool bases just sitting in my base box for the next few years so I have forced myself to paint them up and make a tutorial on how to do it! Hope you guys all enjoy! 🙂
No real prep work was required for the bases. The cast was flawless (a huge relief as I had just finished a large Finecast commission) and there didn’t seem to be anything much in the way of mold release though if in doubt washing your parts is the safest option (and what I would recommend).
I did give the rims of the bases a light sand just to be sure that they were super smooth but that is optional/unnecessary.Finally I gave the bases a light dusting of a rattle can grey primer (a cheapy hardware store brand) and stuck them down to a piece of folded up cardboard with some sticky tape to make them easier to handle while painting.
I began by base coating the bases with Boring Green by Minitaire (good job Badger marketing team…) and I used my trusty Patriot 105 to apply it… This resulted in me getting a nice even coat of green in just a few seconds.
I then grabbed out a light grey (in this case Dusty Ground) and mixed that with the base coat and applied it through the airbrush as a highlight. This creates a very desaturated and light colour which is ideal for paint chipping and weathering effects.
After that I underlined all the chips with a thin line of the Dusty Grey mixed with a tiny dot of Boring Green. This is a little tricky because we are working with a flat surface. To deal with this I simply pick a side were the light would be angling from in my imaginary world and highlight/shade according to that. It’s very important that you make sure you are consistent… You don’t want to finish with one of them and realise that you’ve been highlighting the wrong edge for half of the chips…
I also use this colour to edge highlight some of the panels which just makes things look nice and sharp.
As you can see I took the liberty of going in and basing everything I wasn’t going to have green in black.
All the metallic details were blocked in with Vallejo alcohol based metallic silver. I hate working with non acrylic paints but with the metallics it’s worth it (the finish is so much more shiny).
I also used a thin black wash to shade the metals a little… This was very subtle but that’s what I was going for… I wanted the bases to be eye catching despite the drab green. I also like the reflective quality of the metal paint.
This was finished of with some pigment fixer again by AK… This really killed the effect of the pigment however it created a kind of interesting effect that I’m not terribly dissatisfied with… I must confess my skills in regard to sealing in pigments leave a lot to be desired, I often end up using them thinned with alcohol just so I don’t have to worry about it… 😛
My two victims for osl treatment mwahahahahah…
I decided I wanted to make it look like the indentations on one of the bases were actually glowing red hot… I also wanted to create a similar osl effect on a small part of one of the other bases pictured.
Another recommended product… Great in combo with Tamiya transparent gloss red for blood effects…
The last thing I decided to do was to make some dirty puddles of nasty water or oil. To do this I grabbed my favourite paint for the job… Tamiya Smoke! (it’s a clear gloss acrylic) I apply it with a toothpick and an old brush. I make some small dots of it, some larger puddles and finally I thin it out with water and wash it in to the seams of one of the bases so it looks like the liquid is flowing around like it would realisticaly.
The great thing about creating beaten up surfaces like I’m doing here is that you can always cover any faults in your painting with a puddle or a paint chip or a rust streak etc so any mistakes that are made are always super easy to fix… Not that I ever make any painting mistakes or anything… 😛
Here are the finished results:
They look really cohesive due to the colour scheme… I was considering going with random different colours for each base but I’m glad I didn’t now…
Overall not to bad for 45 or so min’s of painting (including stopping to take pictures). Cheers for reading along, hope it’s helped some of you out… Any feedback or questions don’t hesitate to get in touch! Cya in the next one!!!