The Guys over at Secret Weapon Miniatures were kind enough to send me a bunch of their Tau Ceti bases a few months ago. Some of these have already been put to good use however I had a few lonely ones left… I thought it would be an injustice to see such cool bases just sitting in my base box for the next few years so I have forced myself to paint them up and make a tutorial on how to do it! Hope you guys all enjoy! 🙂
Finally I gave the bases a light dusting of a rattle can grey primer (a cheapy hardware store brand) and stuck them down to a piece of folded up cardboard with some sticky tape to make them easier to handle while painting.
I then grabbed out a light grey (in this case Dusty Ground) and mixed that with the base coat and applied it through the airbrush as a highlight. This creates a very desaturated and light colour which is ideal for paint chipping and weathering effects.
I also use this colour to edge highlight some of the panels which just makes things look nice and sharp.
As you can see I took the liberty of going in and basing everything I wasn’t going to have green in black.
I also used a thin black wash to shade the metals a little… This was very subtle but that’s what I was going for… I wanted the bases to be eye catching despite the drab green. I also like the reflective quality of the metal paint.
This was finished of with some pigment fixer again by AK… This really killed the effect of the pigment however it created a kind of interesting effect that I’m not terribly dissatisfied with… I must confess my skills in regard to sealing in pigments leave a lot to be desired, I often end up using them thinned with alcohol just so I don’t have to worry about it… 😛
Another recommended product… Great in combo with Tamiya transparent gloss red for blood effects…
The last thing I decided to do was to make some dirty puddles of nasty water or oil. To do this I grabbed my favourite paint for the job… Tamiya Smoke! (it’s a clear gloss acrylic) I apply it with a toothpick and an old brush. I make some small dots of it, some larger puddles and finally I thin it out with water and wash it in to the seams of one of the bases so it looks like the liquid is flowing around like it would realisticaly.
The great thing about creating beaten up surfaces like I’m doing here is that you can always cover any faults in your painting with a puddle or a paint chip or a rust streak etc so any mistakes that are made are always super easy to fix… Not that I ever make any painting mistakes or anything… 😛
Here are the finished results: