I finally got this little mini finished, just got to do up some good pictures and it’ll be set and ready to go off to the customer it was painted for.
Launching in to another project once again, this time an entry for a competition!
MassiveVoodoo are running a mad max themes car competition so I thought I’d better jump on board, nothing like a competition to push me to up my painting/modelling skills.
So far I’ve got the basic car fully assembled and have started some basic conversion work. I’ve also pulled out a pile of bits that I’m going to use to convert it up. Next step will be a trip to the hobby store to get some more jerry cans/misc bits and then it’ll be on to conversions and basically beating the heck out of the thing to make it look like it’s been to hell and back. Should be a lot of fun!
Here’s the first few hours of work I’ve put in to a force of Stormiest Eternals that I’m going to be working on for the next few days. Just the contents of the starter box that I’m going to speed through for the tabletop, should be fun!
After about 2 hours of assembly and prep I’ve got the force all together and partially primed. I began with the models off the bases, primed their undersides black, scraped the primer off the underside of their feet and then glued them to the base. This ensures I have primer in all the little underside details which is important as I will be using the black primer as a shade colour in the recesses.
I use Agrellan Earth to kick off the texture on the bases, I just dollop it thickly in a few spots on the bases…
You can see the results here, some nice crackled texture!
Next I move on the the grit/dirt effect for which I use texture paste.
Again I just gloop in on everywhere and allow it to dry. It gives a fine texture which is the dirt/dessert effect I am going for.
Then Everything gets a second coat of primer from above which finishes the prep work and means the models are ready for paint! I let them sit overnight to ensure everything is dry before commencing.
First paint is a classic… Good ole Tin Bitz…
This is a heavy dry brush used over all of the models.
Unfortunately I don’t have any further progress shots getting to this stage however it’s just a lot of dry brushing to bring the gold up and then some basecoats I threw down in a hurry, nothing to special…
And that is were we are at for the moment, more progress soon!!!
Hey All! It’s been a while…
Unfortunately I’ve had to have a couple of months away from the world of painting due to a fractured wrist oh joy…
Now I am back with a vengeance however with a bunch of models completed and a pile of articles in the works so be sure to watch this space and in the meantime, here’s a look at 2 of my recent completions!
“Adding Leaves to your base/diorama is a great way to add a touch of realism without much effort and it can really bring another dimension to your work. Here is a simple yet effective way to do this using the really nice leaves made by Secret Weapon Miniatures.”
For mimicking leaves on a small scale (28-70mm) I like to use ‘Birch seed leaves’. These are essentially just bits of material from the Birch Tree that are dried out and then coloured by the manufacturer to give them nice leaf like colours. Many companies produce these leaves however the brand I like to work with personally is Secret Weapon Miniatures. They have many different colours available for a reasonable price.
You will also need a surface to put your leaves on (well duh), a pair of high quality tweezers for applying the leaves and some PVA glue for sticking them down. Optionally you can also use a bunch of different acrylic washes as I did in this example.
I begin by picking out a leaf that I like the look of… In this example I chose leaves of a similar colour as I didn’t want the base to look too colourful (it would draw attention away from the models). Secret Weapon do make leaves of all different colours though so you have tons of options in regard to choosing what colours would suit your particular scene. If you want to use washes on your leaved to colour/shade them then I recommend choosing the lighter colours as they work better for this purpose.
You can see here that I chose leaves from the fall colour mixed bag of leaves from Secret Weapon.
Next I dip the leaf in some PVA glue. I prefer PVA to super glue as it dries clear and you don’t have to worry about it going all chalky…..
Try not to use too much as it can dry with a gloss finish and you don’t want that messing up the look of your base. You can use an acrylic matt medium instead however it isn’t as strong (though it looks better in you have a tendency to be a bit messy).
Step 4 : Painting!
Once the glue is all dry you have the option of working further on the leaves… Normally I wouldn’t do this as the colour that they already have is perfectly acceptable. This piece was however a competition entry and I wanted to bring a bit more depth and difference in tone to the individual leaves so I decided to go over them with a motley assortment of different washes.
I put the washes all down on my pallet and whent through them one by one picking out leaves and just quickly giving them a coat of the wash.
Just like with the selection of leaf colours you can feel free to use different wash colours to achieve different effects.
The Finished Results!!!